While many users may work with Lead/Contact Status, some organizations also have a status "reason" or "sub-status" that lives in a separate picklist field, often right below the main status picklist field.
Your organization may only have 3 Lead statuses, but one of those statuses has 2 "sub-statuses". For example:
- Qualified - Contacted
- Qualified - Customer
Can I Map Status 'Reasons'?
Since Outreach only has one object to map to Lead/Contact status (Stages), we are unable to map directly to the sub-status or status reason from Stages. However, there is a workaround that will allow us to map it using a custom field.
In this next example, we will use the Custom 1 field to map to our status reason.
How to Map Status Reason(s)
Map a custom field to the sub status field in your CRM:
- In the bottom left hand corner of the Outreach platform, click on the initials and select "Settings"
- On the settings panel, find the section labeled "System Config" and select "Plugins".
- Click into Lead or Contact object (depending on which object the status reason lives on)
- Click the "Fields" tab on the top of the page
- Click the "+ Add" button in the top right to add a new field mapping and scroll to the bottom
- Map the Custom 1 field to the status reason field, making sure Updates In and Updates Out are both checked.
- Click the Save button in the top right
Adding New Stages
- Under Settings and then Prospect, you can click into Stages to add new Stages.
- You will need to have the Stage without any sub-status reason, and then each Stage and sub-status reason available. In the example below, we've added the unique "Qualified" Stage, as well as Stages for both the "Contacted" and "Customer" sub-statuses.
Create a Trigger to Update the Status/Sub-status:
- Navigate to the Triggers section. You can find triggers by clicking on the initials on the bottom left hand corner of the page and on the settings panel, find the section labeled "System Config". Click on "Triggers".
- click the "+ Add" button in the top right corner.
- Set the Trigger Event to "Prospect Updated"
- Set the Prospect Conditions to (use ALL statements):
- Custom 1 IS NOT Contacted
- Stage IS status/sub-status reason
- Set Trigger Actions to:
- Set field: Stage = Qualified
- Set field custom 1 to sub-status/status reason - Contacted
Note: A new trigger needs to created for each sub-status/reason.