With Voice, you can start a voice call with any domestic or international phone number using VOIP or a Bridge. These two options have many similarities, but each offers an advantage over the other. Depending on your preferences, you may find one option suits your needs better.
VOIP / Browser Dialing
VOIP simply means "voice over IP". If you have ever used skype, you have used a VOIP solution. When you use VOIP, you are calling via the browser, allowing you to plug your headphones directly into your computer.
- Using the internet for calling is more economical than calling through bridge, because you get to reduce your leverage of traditional telco lines. For more information on pricing, see our Voice pricing information.
- Users can plug their headphones or headset directly into the computer if they wish to make a dial.
- Users can leverage Voice when they have an internet connection, but don't have a landline, or very strong cell signal.
- Calling using the internet does require a good internet connection for good call quality. This includes both your connection speed, and connection quality, via your wireless router.
- If the user wishes to stand up and walk around the room, they may find that carrying their computer with them does not suit them.
To learn more how the VOIP calling workflow functions, see Making Calls in Outreach using VOIP.
Dialing by bridge functions by dialing the outbound number through the Outreach Voice system (from your Outreach Voice number) and dialing your landline or mobile number, in order to establish a connection through the standard telco lines. While this method is very high in audio quality, it is less economical than VOIP.
- The call quality is what you would expect from a mobile phone or landline because this method leverages traditional telco "hard lines" and cell towers, like what you see strung across telephone poles.
- Users can use their headphones or headset that connects to their landline or mobile phone.
- If users create a bridge dial to their mobile phone, they will be able to easily pace around the room, carrying just their mobile phone.
- The increased footprint on traditional telco channels does incur more cost because they need their slice of the pie when their services are leveraged. For more information on pricing, see our Voice pricing information.
- Bridge dialing does take longer to connect (to start the bridge) than a VOIP call because there is an additional connection to be made to start. However, once a bridge is started, a user could make multiple calls via the UI, while keeping the bridge open.
- Using Outreach bridge on top of an existing SIP phone is not a recommended setup, mainly due to the potential incompatibility between different providers.
For more on this feature, see Making Calls in Outreach using a Bridge.