Outreach uses a bidirectional field mapping to sync the Email Opt Out field in a customer's connected Salesforce instance to the Opted Out field in the Outreach platform on the lead and contact objects.
This mapping is added in Fields tab of the Lead or Contact section of the Salesforce plugin.
To navigate to the field mapping on a Lead/Contact:
- An Outreach Admin can click on their initials on the bottom left hand corner of the Outreach Platform.
- Under the settings panel, find the section labeled "System Config" and select "Plugins"
- Click into the Salesforce plugin and under "Types" select the Lead or Contact Object.
- On the top of the page, click "Fields".
- Find the "Add" button on the top right corner of the page.
- Find the "Opt Out" Outreach field and select the corresponding Salesforce field.
- Save your changes.
*Make sure the field level security for the opt out field is set to visible, otherwise the salesforce mapping will not appear in the drop down list. Learn more here.
Users who already use marketing automation software may need to consult with their marketing team to determine the type of sync needed between the opt out fields.
There are 3 common configurations:
1. Marketing and Outreach share the same Email Opt Out field in Salesforce
When Outreach shares the Email Opt Out field with marketing, both Outreach and the marketing automation software can make the field true, effectively unsubscribing the prospect from any marketing or sales emails in the future.
Most organizations decide against this so the prospect can opt out of marketing emails but can still maintain transactional email communication with sales.
2. Create a "Sales Opt Out" Field in Salesforce
This configuration option is chosen most often as it keeps sales and marketing email opt outs separate, allowing transactional emails between sales and the prospect to take place without affecting marketing.
To create this configuration, the user's Salesforce admin must create a writeable true/false checkbox on the contact or lead object called "Sales Opt Out" or something similar.
Once the field is created in Salesforce, the account admin can work with the Outreach team to map that field in the Salesforce plugin settings within the Outreach platform.
3. Track Opted Out Prospects in Outreach Only
If a user does not wish to sync opted out prospects in Salesforce, the can prevent the creation of or leads and contacts in Outreach or Salesforce by adding conditions to their Salesforce plugin settings on the Lead or Contact Objects.
If a user does not have a Salesforce integration, they can track prospects who have opted out in Outreach Sequences and Reports sections. Users can then take action on the list as needed depending on the users' preferred workflow.