Amplify’s Contact Referral feature extracts contact information from a sender's email and automatically sends you an inbox notification to take action. Our machine learning technology can identify if there is a new contact referral in the body of an automated email response (OOO or no longer with the company, for example), and automatically send you an inbox notification to add the contact to Outreach.
Enabling the Amplify Contact Referral Feature
To enable the Contact Referral feature, make sure you’ve downloaded the Outreach Everywhere Chrome Extension and enabled the extension in Gmail. At this time, this feature is not available for individuals using Outlook, Exchange, Office 365, or other mail servers.
For the Contact Referral Feature to work, there must be a unique email address contained in the body of the automatic email you receive from your prospect.
Using the Amplify Contact Referral Feature
When you receive an automatic email (OOO or No longer with the company, for example) Amplify identifies if there is a contact referral in the body of the email. Once identified, you’ll see a notification appear in your inbox.
Leaving the checkbox enabled will add the contact as a prospect in Outreach once you click “ok”. You can open the Outreach Everywhere extension to add more details to the newly created prospect profile.
This feature will only work if you’ve granted permission for non-admin Outreach users to add prospects to Outreach. If you’ve denied their ability to add access, the feature will not help every team.
Create a Smart View
To optimize this feature, we recommend ensuring your business has an intake process for nurturing prospects created in Outreach. To aid in this, you can create a smart view to see how many prospects have been added to Outreach through Amplify.
- Click on the silhouette icon on the left hand navigation panel. You’ll be brought to the prospect overview page.
- In the search bar, type source:“amplify” AND owner:“owner’s name” AND stage:“”. This will pull up all prospects that have been added to Outreach through the Amplify Contact Referral owned by you. We want to include prospects with an empty stage because we need prospects to be removed from the smart view when they’re being worked, which is usually when a stage is added.
*note that the image above shows a different search in order to show results.
- Click on the “Views & Filters” button on the top of the page, if not already expanded.
- On the “Views & Filters panel, click into “Smart Views”. On the bottom of the panel, click “Save as New Smart View”
- Name your smart view so that it’s clear the list you’re viewing is prospects that have been added via Amplify and save your new smart view.
Sync with Salesforce
When a contact is added from Amplify to Outreach, you’ll want to ensure the prospects are being synced as contacts to Salesforce. This means that within the Salesforce plugin in Outreach, you’ll need to make sure the “Outbound Create” toggles are enabled for leads and contacts.
If your Salesforce plugin requires certain conditions to be met before syncing to Salesforce, or has validations set up, make sure you talk to your Salesforce admin to prevent data sync issues down the road.
Trigger Follow Up Tasks
Once you understand your Salesforce requirements, you can create triggers to remind your reps to fill out required fields on prospects added through Amplify.
- Click on the initials on the bottom left-hand corner of the Outreach platform.
- Find the section labeled “System Config” on the settings panel that appears and select “triggers”.
- Click “Add” on the top right corner. Name your trigger so that it is easily identifiable as a trigger used in conjunction with Amplify.
- The event should be “Prospect Created”. Make sure you check the “Trigger only once per prospect” setting. This ensures the trigger doesn’t fire in a loop.
- Under “Prospect Conditions” add a new condition where the source is “amplify”. If needed, you can add additional conditions.
- “Trigger Actions” is where you decide what should occur when a prospect meets the trigger conditions. If you have an individual in your company dedicated to prospect intake and nurturing, you might consider assigning prospect ownership to them. As discussed above, if you have specific conditions and validations in place to sync new prospects in Salesforce, you can create a task that reminds the individual who owns the prospect to update fields needed.
FAQ for Contact Referral Extraction
Will I see a popup if the referral from the OOO message already exists as a prospect in Outreach?
No, only new contacts. Specifically only referrals where the email does not exist in Outreach already.
What about new phone numbers for existing prospects?
Not today. Often people leave their mobile number in their OOO message, but we are not extracting these.
Today we only extract new prospects. New prospects are identified by their email - the email address is not yet in Outreach.
Can I modify or add fields to the extracted contact referral Amplify suggested within Gmail?
Not within the Gmail interface. Referrals can be modified after they have been saved to Outreach.
Will extracted phone numbers have a type (mobile, home, voip, etc.)?
Yes, they will default to “other”. We default to “other” because the phone number type is rarely specified in an OOO message.
Will referrals added by Amplify in Outreach sync to SalesForce?
Yes, but that depends on your Outreach plugin and your Salesforce validations settings. At a minimum, you need to enable the “Outbound Create” toggle on leads and contacts in the plugin. If you do not have this enabled, but want to use this feature, please reach out to your Customer Success Manager or support to discuss.