The purpose of this article is to provide direction and information to Outreach Admins regarding how Prospects and emails are created from the Inbox to the main app.
- Outreach Admins
- Some Outreach views and options require admin-level governance permissions. If the options outlined in this article are unavailable, contact the Org's Outreach Administrator as applicable. For more information regarding governance profile settings, refer to the Governance Profile Settings Overview article.
- This article is applicable to both Gmail and Outlook environments.
- This article discusses processes and functionality only available when a User has synced an inbox with the Outreach Platform. For more information regarding connecting an inbox to Outreach, refer to the How To Connect a Primary Email to Outreach article.
How Emails are Synced from the Inbox to the Main App:
Outreach detects when a User's mailbox sends or receives email communications from a Prospect who's email address is the same as the email address in Outreach.
Note: If you have Outreach integrated with your CRM, based on your plugin configuration, once emails are synced into the Outreach Platform, they may subsequently be synced into the CRM as well. For more information regarding CRM Plugin settings, refer to the CRM Plugin Settings Overview article.
How to prevent emails from syncing into the Outreach main app
As noted above, for Outreach to sync emails to the main app, a user’s mailbox who is included on the email (sender or recipient) needs to be synced with Outreach, and that mailbox needs to be sending or receiving an email with a prospect that exists in the Outreach Platform.
To prevent emails from syncing to the main app, the user either needs to un-sync their mailbox or ensure the person they are emailing is not a prospect in the Outreach main app and a prospect will not auto-create upon sending (see below for more details on prospect auto-create).
How prospects are auto-created from the inbox to the main app
When a user sends an email from their inbox and is using either the Outreach for Gmail Chrome Extension or the Outreach for Outlook Add-In, Outreach can automatically create recipients from that email as a Prospect in the main app if they do not already exist. This will ensure that all email communication with prospects is properly synced.
Note: If you have Outreach integrated with your CRM, this auto-create and syncing process is how Outreach can sync emails to your CRM even if a prospect (lead or contacts in CRM) doesn’t exist yet in Outreach. Outreach creates the prospect, then associates that prospect with the corresponding record in your CRM, then syncs the activity.
Enable/Disable Prospect Auto-Create via Org Setting
The Prospect Auto-Create Org setting allows customers to control whether prospects are auto-created when users send emails with either the Outreach for Gmail Chrome Extension or the Outreach for Outlook Add-In from their inbox. When this box is unchecked (auto-create is disabled) users will be presented with an extra confirmation step in their inbox that asks them to create the prospect before sending the email. Below are the steps for an Outreach admin to enable or disable this setting.
- Access the Outreach Platform.
- Click the User's initials (avatar) in the bottom left corner of the navigation sidebar.
- Click Org under the User Admin Section in the Settings panel.
- Click to enable or disable the Gmail Automatic Prospect Creation option as applicable.
- Click Save.
Prospect Creation Blocked via Org Settings
Within your Org settings, is a checkbox labeled “Block creation of prospects with an email address matching.” When this setting is configured, prospects matching these conditions cannot be created from the inbox.