Outreach can support opting prospects out from specific communication channels (email, call, texting), which leaves the door open for reps to reach out with other methods. For example, if a prospect opts out of emails Outreach will now be able to “granularly opt out” the prospect from receiving any further email, but will still allow your rep to continue communicating with the prospect via phone or texting.
With this feature enabled, unsubscribe links will now only opt a prospect out of Email communication. If a rep connects with a prospect on a call, and the prospects requests to no longer be called, a rep can mark the prospect opted out specifically of future calls. In addition, any existing Opted Out prospects are updated to be opted out of all communication types.
Enable Granular Opt Out by Communication Preferences
- Click on the initials on the bottom left-hand corner of the Outreach platform.
- Find the section labeled "User Admin" on the setting panel that appears and select "Org".
- Under the general org settings, find the section labeled "Opt Out Options" and enable “Opt Out by Communication Type” checkbox.
Using Opt Out by Communication Preferences
With this feature enabled, an “Opt Outs” section is added to your Rulesets. These new settings will determine how you would like Outreach to handle opted out prospects in sequences. You can select to “Continue and skip future … steps” if you would like Outreach to skip the steps a prospect is opted out of, or select if a prospect is opted out of any type of communication have Outreach finish that prospect from the sequence altogether.
Opting a prospect out in Outreach
Similar to how reps opt out prospects today, to opt a prospect out navigate to a prospect’s profile and under the edit drop down select the “Opt Out” option. This will prompt the new Opt Out option to appear, allowing reps to now select which communication type the prospect is opted out of.
Updating your SFDC plugin
Upon enabling Opt Out by Communication Preferences, you will want to update the SFDC plugin. Updating the plugin requires a few steps, including:
- Creating the Email, Call, and SMS opt out fields in SFDC (if they do not already exist)
- Updating the Outreach plugin for Leads
- Updating the Outreach plugin for Contacts.
Creating the fields in SFDC
When creating the Email, Call, and SMS opt out fields in SFDC for Outreach to sync with, they will need to be a checkbox (true/false) field on the Lead and Contact page layout.
- Navigate to your Settings page
- Under “System Config” go to the “Plugins” option and select “Salesforce”
- Click into the Lead/Contact object and go to the Lead/Contact “Fields” tab
- Update the Lead/Contact Field Mappings by removing the existing Opt Out field, and adding the “Email Opt Out”, “Call Opt Out”, and “SMS Opt Out” mappings.