Before connecting Outreach to your org's Salesforce instance, some admins prefer to test the connection in a sandbox environment to ensure the settings they set up will work the way preferred by the team.
Testing the Salesforce Sandbox connection should be simple in Outreach. After confirming that you meet the Salesforce integration requirements, a user with Admin permissions in Salesforce must initiate the connection to Outreach using OAuth via the REST API.
Once the connection has been established, use the following methods to test the transfer of data between Salesforce and Outreach in the sandbox environment.
Note: Outreach does not have a sandbox environment but will connect with Salesforce sandbox environments so users can test the functionality of the SFDC integration with Outreach before connecting to their production instance.
Connect Outreach to your Salesforce Sandbox Environment
- Navigate to Settings > Plugins in the left-side menu (requires admin permissions in Outreach)
- Click Add on the top right corner
- Choose Salesforce Sandbox
- Use a Salesforce admin's credentials to sign into the sandbox environment
Test Pushing Data from Outreach to Salesforce
- Navigate to Settings > Plugins and click into the Salesforce Sandbox plugin
- Click Types at the top of the screen
- Click into the Lead, Contact or Account object configuration settings
- Turn Pushing ON in the Sync settings
- In the Fields settings, map all fields you intend to test the data transfer with
- Check the box on the right to push data out and the box on the left to pull data in from Salesforce
- Create or Navigate to a test prospect in the Outreach database and click into the prospect's profile
- Click the Edit button in the top right of the prospect's profile
- Change one of the mapped fields, then click Save in the top right
This field will update it's corresponding Salesforce field within 60-90 seconds.
Pulling Data into Outreach from Salesforce
- Create a new Lead or Contact in the sandbox instance to test with (include first/last name, email and any other relevant fields that fit your configuration settings/conditions)
- Navigate to Outreach and click the + icon next to Prospects in the left-side menu
- Choose Load Contact or Load Lead
- Type the name of the test Lead or Contact into the search field and select the matching record using the predictive search to see both name and Salesforce ID
- Uncheck the "Skip plugin filters and conditions" checkbox, then click the Import button
- Search for the record and confirm it exists
Manually Push/Pull Data within Outreach
To further test the data transfer capabilities in Outreach, a user can manually push or pull data from a Prospect or Account record within Outreach. See instructions >
Post Email Activity to Salesforce
- Ensure the Lead or Contact record who will be emailed has been loaded in Outreach as a Prospect
- Navigate to the prospect's profile, then click the prospect's email address located in the right sidebar
- Compose a message by typing content into the subject and body fields, then click the Send button
Emails will post to the Activity section of the Lead or Contact record in Salesforce within 60-90 seconds.