If you aren't using Salesforce to automatically pull in prospect time zones, you can create a trigger to assign a time zone based on the prospect's address.
Note: Timezone triggers aren't necessary for prospects with an address in the United States, as long as the customer has the state (whether it's abbreviated or spelled out) on the prospect record in Outreach. If you prospect internationally, you'll want to set up a time zone trigger.
Automatically Assign Prospect Time Zones
- Add a new trigger.
- Add a name to your trigger that designates the time zone that is being applied (for example, "ET Time Zone" tells me the trigger is being created to update prospects in the Eastern time zone).
- Under "Event", select "Prospect Created or Updated" on the dropdown menu. This setting means any time a prospect is newly created in Outreach, or an existing prospect has an update, the trigger will fire and automatically add the time zone to their profile.
- The trigger owner can be adjusted, but isn't necessary for the trigger to fire correctly.
- Start to add your prospect conditions. For time zone triggers, the trigger will be based off of the prospect state. Trigger conditions have to be specific, including capitalizations and spacing, so make sure what you add reflects how states are displayed on the prospect profile. You may want to include the state abbreviation as well as the full state name. Make sure you only add states that are in the time zone you're creating a trigger for.
- As you add states, you'll want to group your conditions. Groups allow you to designate wether should look at "any" or "all" of the conditions before firing. For time zones, we want the trigger to see "any" of the state names to add the time zone.
- Once you've finished adding all states that are within that time zone, you need to designate that the current time zone on the prospect profile is blank. This trigger condition should not be grouped with the states, instead being added as an "all" condition. Put together, you have trigger conditions that say "If the prospect profile has an address with any of these states and the current time zone field is blank, then...[trigger action]".Create an "all" condition by clicking on the "+add" button attached to the "all" option.
- Scroll down the page until you see "Trigger Actions". This is where you tell the trigger what action to take if the prospect conditions are met. Click "+add action". On the dialogue box that appears, the action is "set field". Under the field name, select "Time Zone (IANA)". On the dropdown field, find the appropriate time zone.
- Save your changes and enable your trigger.
Note: To create a trigger for a new time zone region, you can speed up the process by cloning your existing trigger and making adjustments to the trigger name, trigger conditions, and trigger action.