Triggers are an extremely powerful admin feature in Outreach that allow you to automate action in Outreach.
Parts of a Trigger
1. Trigger Event
- The trigger event determines when a trigger should take action. Trigger events include:
- Prospect Created - A net new prospect is created in Outreach. This can be creation through a CSV, Salesforce Report, single Salesforce import, or manual prospect creation in the Outreach platform.
- Prospect Updated - A prospect record is updated.
- Prospect Created or Updated - Includes characteristics from both "Prospect Created" and "Prospect Updated."
- Email Bounced - A trigger fires when an email delivered from Outreach receives a bounce notification. These include emails sent from the Outreach platform (one-off, sequence, or bulk emails).
- Email Delivered - A trigger will fire when an email is delivered to a prospect. These This includes emails sent from the Outreach platform (one-off, sequence, or bulk emails).
- Call Logged - A trigger will fire when a call is logged. This includes inbound and outbound dials.
2. Trigger Conditions
- Conditions can be applied to Prospects or Accounts in Outreach. Conditions outlined in the trigger must be meet before the trigger fires. Prospect and Account conditions are built from fields that exist on the Prospect or Account record. Examples conditions include "Title contains VP" or "Opt Out is not false"
3. Trigger Actions
- The trigger action is the specific action the trigger takes then the trigger event has happened and the prospect/account conditions are met. Actions include:
- Add to Sequence - When the trigger conditions are met, add the prospects to a specific sequence.
- Add Tag(s) - When the trigger conditions are met, add tag(s) to prospects
- Set Field - When the trigger conditions are met, update a specified field with a value or string
- Stop Sequences - When the trigger conditions are met, either mark all sequence as finished or select specific sequences prospects should be removed from.
Note: Conditions can be created to include "any" or "all" conditions, and grouped together as appropriate. Multiple conditions and actions can be added to the trigger settings. The trigger will look at the conditions and actions in the order they are listed.
Create a Trigger
- Click on the initials on the bottom left hand corner of the Outreach platform. On the settings panel, find the section labeled "System Config" and select "Triggers".
- Click the "+ Add" button on the top right corner of the page. A pop up window will appear.
- Best Practice: Click "edit trigger" in the bottom right of the "Add Trigger" window to see all trigger options
- Name the trigger and add set the trigger event, condition(s), and action(s). Save your changes.
- Return to the trigger overview page and enable the trigger by clicking on the master toggle, found to the left of the trigger name.
Note: As multiple triggers are created, Outreach will fire triggers based on the order they are listed on the overview page.