Triggers are an extremely powerful feature in Outreach that allow you to automate various actions, such as changing field values, starting or stopping sequences, and adding tags based on prospect and account conditions.
Parts of a Trigger:
1) Trigger Event
- The trigger event indicates when a trigger should take action. Trigger events include:
- Prospect Created - net new prospect creation within Outreach.
- Prospect Updated - any record change on the prospect that includes any touch points.
- Prospect Created or Updated - includes characteristics from both "Prospect Created" and "Prospect Updated."
- Email Bounced - anytime an email bounces.
- Email Delivered - anytime an email is sent from Outreach.
2) Trigger Conditions
- Conditions can be applied to Prospects or Accounts in Outreach. They tell the trigger what conditions need to be met before the trigger takes action. Conditions are built from fields that exist on the Prospect or Account. Examples conditions include "Title contains VP" or "Opt Out is not false"
3) Trigger Actions
- The trigger action is the specific action the trigger takes then the trigger event has happened and the prospect/account conditions are met. Actions include:
- Add to Sequence - adds prospect to specific sequence.
- Add Tags - add tags to prospects
- Set Field - fill in a field with a value or string
- Stop Sequences - either mark all sequence as finished or specifically choose which sequence you'd like prospects to finish.
To create a trigger:
- Navigate to Settings > Triggers in the Outreach menu
- Click the + Add button in the top right
- Best Practice: Click "edit trigger" in the bottom right of the "Add Trigger" window to see all trigger options
When you are done creating your trigger, be sure to click the Save button and turn it on in Settings > Triggers.