In sales when you reach out to connect with someone, the standard practice in Outreach is to place them in a sequence. This gives you the best chance of receiving an initial response.
Once the prospect responds to one of your sequence emails, they will be automatically removed from the sequence. At this point, you will need to respond to the prospect's email from your inbox. This is where Follow-Up Sequences step in. Before you hit send on that email from your Gmail inbox, you can attach a Follow-Up Sequence to the email. This will ensure that if your prospect does not respond to your email, they will be automatically added to the Follow-Up Sequence.
As an Outreach best practice, we recommend you attach a Follow-Up Sequence to every email you send from your inbox that requires a response.
Adding Prospects to Sequences from the Gmail Chrome Extension
- Make sure you've installed the Outreach Everywhere Chrome Extension.
- In Gmail, compose a new email or reply to an email thread. This first email written in the Gmail compose window will be sent before your selected sequence.
- Ensure the Outreach Everywhere chrome extension is enabled, indicated by the Outreach toolbar being highlighted blue and the toggle showing green when clicking on the gear icon.
- On the Outreach bar, click on "Sequences", which will pull up a list of sequences owned by you, or shared by other Outreach users. You can search sequences by the name of the sequence or the content contained in the sequence. If you have access to Content Collections you can filter by Collection by selecting the dropdown arrow next to "All Sequences".
- To preview the steps within the sequence, select "Show Steps. Select the sequence most relevant for your prospect and confirm the delivery of the first step. If you would like the sequence to act as a reply to the email composed within Gmail, you can try building a follow-up sequence.
- If there are multiple recipients in your email (i.e. in the To and Cc line), select which one will be the Primary. The Primary will be the one that Outreach uses for variables, reporting, and syncing activities back to your CRM.
- To ensure the Prospects are not already active in other sequences, simply hover over their names to view the other sequences they are in and their status within those sequences.
- If you'd like to select a specific time to start the sequence, click the clock icon and select a specific Data/Time.
- Hit "Set Follow-Up" and the the prospect will be added to the sequence if a confirmation message appears when you hover over the sequence icon.
- If the individual being emailed is a prospect in Outreach and you have selected them as the Primary, and if variables exist in the first step of the sequence, Outreach will automatically merge the variables with the corresponding prospect information.
What happens if one of the Recipients on the email responds?
Outreach's default setting is to detect the reply and stop the Sequence. You can configure this to do otherwise in your Sequence Settings. Replies from Non-Primary Prospects, by default, will also stop the sequence. If you find that you often get responses from Non-Primary Prospects and you would prefer to keep the sequence active or would prefer to have the option to choose if the sequence should continue or finish, you can configure this within your Sequence Settings.
Can I add one of my colleagues as a Cc on my email and have them stay on Cc through the Sequence?
Yes. Anyone you add to the To and Cc line can be maintained all the way through the sequence. As long as the recipients are not blocked by your Org domain exclusions, you can add them on To or Cc. Check with your Admin if you are curious about your Org domain exclusions.