For Outreach and People.ai to work together, there are some additional steps in the Outreach Salesforce plugin that need to be taken. These steps will ensure duplicate activities are not pushed to Salesforce. This is achieved by adding a unique message ID to your Salesforce Task object, which allows People.ai to identify which mailings have already synced with Outreach, and which ones have not yet synced.
Outreach’s Advanced task mapping feature must be enabled for People.ai & Outreach to work together without duplication. Please submit a request to our support team if you do not have this feature enabled on your account.
Setting up the Salesforce Plugin for the People.ai Integration
Adjusting the Lead and Contact Salesforce Objects in Outreach
Note: These steps can only be completed by an individual with an admin Outreach license.
- Click on the initials on the bottom left-hand corner of the Outreach platform
- On the settings panel that appears, find the section labeled “system config” and click on “plugins”.
- Click into the Salesforce plugin and select the lead type object.
- Find the section of the page labeled “messages & events”. Under this section, disable the toggle labeled “outbound messages sent within Outreach”.
- Further down the “messages & events” list, find the toggle labeled “include message ID for field events” and make sure it’s enabled. This allows Outreach to push message IDs from Outreach emails into Salesforce. People.ai checks the message ID before creating a new activity in Salesforce. Enabling this toggle prevents duplicate activities.
- Next to the same toggle, click on the gear icon. Here, you’ll need to insert the API field name that you’re using for their Message ID field. If this is not a custom field, you can keep the default provided by Outreach.
- Save your changes and repeat steps 1-6 on the contact object.
Adjusting the Task Salesforce Object in Outreach
- Navigate back to the Salesforce plugin. Select the Task <> Mailing object.
- On the top of the page, click on “fields”.
- Click the add button on the top right-hand side of the page and scroll to the bottom of the list of mappings. Map the Outreach Message ID field to the Salesforce Message ID field.
- To the right of your new field mapping, make sure the “updates out” checkbox is enabled.
- Save your changes.
Before the integration is complete, make sure you connect with the client success and support team at People.ai to set up their side of the integration.