In sales when you reach out to connect with someone, the standard practice in Outreach is to place them in a sequence. This gives you the best chance of receiving an initial response.
Once the prospect responds to one of your sequence emails, they will be automatically removed from the sequence. At this point, you will need to respond to the prospect's email from your inbox. This is where Follow-Up Sequences step in. Before you hit send on that email from your Outlook inbox, you can attach a Follow-Up Sequence to the email. This will ensure that if your prospect does not respond to your email, they will be automatically added to the Follow-Up Sequence.
As an Outreach best practice, we recommend you attach a Follow-Up Sequence to every email you send from your inbox that requires a response.
Adding Prospects to Sequences from the Outlook Add-In
- When composing a new email or replying to an email in Outlook, open the Outreach Add-In. The Outreach Add-In can be opened by clicking on the Outreach logo, either in the ribbon on the top of the page or under the compose window (depending on your Outlook and computer set up). If prompted, sign into your Outreach account by clicking on the "Sign In" button.
- Compose your new email or write a reply to your prospect. Find "Sequences" in the Outreach Add-In menu.
- You can search sequences by the name of the sequence or the content contained in the sequence. If you have access to Content Collections you can filter by Collection by selecting the dropdown arrow next to "All Sequences". If you'd like to preview the steps in the sequence click "Show Steps".
- Upon selecting the desired sequence you can choose which recipient (if there are multiple on the email) will be the Primary. The Primary will be the individual that Outreach uses for variables, reporting, and syncing activities back to your CRM.
- If you'd like to pick the time at which the sequence will begin, simply select the clock icon.
- Click the "Set Follow-Up" button and a confirmation box will appear at the bottom of the Outreach side panel.
- Send your email by clicking the "Send with Outreach" button. Depending on the type of Outlook your company uses and whether you're using a PC or a mac, this can be in the Add-In side bar, the ribbon on top of Outlook, or selected by clicking on the Outreach logo under the compose window.
What happens if one of the Recipients on the email responds?
Outreach's default setting is to detect the reply and stop the Sequence. You can configure this to do otherwise in your Sequence Settings. Replies from Non-Primary Prospects, by default, will also stop the sequence. If you find that you often get responses from Non-Primary Prospects and you would prefer to keep the sequence active or would prefer to have the option to choose if the sequence should continue or finish, you can configure this within your Sequence Settings.
Can I add one of my colleagues as a Cc on my email and have them stay on Cc through the Sequence?
Yes. Anyone you add to the To and Cc line can be maintained all the way through the sequence. As long as the recipients are not blocked by your Org domain exclusions, you can add them on To or Cc. Check with your Admin if you are curious about your Org domain exclusions.