This guide provides the step-by-step instructions to configure Outreach and Salesforce to create reports that answer the following business questions:
- Which sequences influenced new opportunities created and won?
- Which sequences influenced the most revenue?
- You should be an Outreach and Salesforce administrator, or have both individuals present
- Make sure Outreach is connected to Salesforce
- Ensure Historical Trend Reporting is enabled in Salesforce.
- Add a required lookup field in the Opportunity creation flow when the Opportunity is not created from a lead.
Install the Outreach Unmanaged Package in Salesforce
If you'd like to install the Outreach Unmanaged Package in your Salesforce Sandbox, please use the Sandbox Unmanaged package. If installing in your production environment, you can use the links included in the steps listed below.
- Install the unmanaged package and ensure "Do Not Install" is selected for what to do when existing component names conflict with those in the Outreach package.
- Select "Install for All Users".
Note: If you do not yet have Historical Trend Reporting for Opportunities enabled, you will need to enable it in Salesforce.
- Wait while the package components are installed.
- Once installed, you'll see the below screen in Salesforce.
- The Salesforce Admin will also receive an email.
- You'll notice the following changes have been made:
- New fields have been created on the Contact, Lead, and Opportunity objects (API name prefix: "outreach_")
- 3 processes have been created in the Process Builder
- There is a new report folder named "Outreach" with a pre-configured Opportunity report
Add the Installed Fields to Page Layouts in Salesforce
- On the top of the page select "Setup"
- On the left-hand navigation panel, find the section labeled "Build" and select "Customize". New options will appear on the panel. Select "leads" and "Page Layouts"
- Add the appropriate page layout(s). You'll find these fields all have the prefix: "outreach_". We recommend placing these fields under a section named "Engagement Panel".
- Repeat for all other required objects, such as Contacts (all of the aforementioned Engagement panel fields) and Opportunities (First Primary Contact Lookup field should be required).
- On the top right hand side of the Salesforce homepage, click on the gear icon and select "Setup"
- On the top of the page, click on the "Object Manager Tab"
- Find "Leads" and select "Page Layouts" on the navigation panel.
- Add the newly created fields to the layout. You'll find these fields all have the prefix "outreach_". We recommend placing these fields under a section named "Engagement Panel".
- Repeat for the Contact object (all of the aforementioned Engagement Panel fields).
- On the Opportunity object, add the following fields:
- Primary Contact Sequence - This field will list the Sequence name associated to generation of the opportunity.
- First Primary Contact Lookup - This should be set to required.
*For Last Touch Sequence Attribution to work properly, the "Current Sequence Name" is copied onto the Opportunity from a Lead or a Contact. If your organization allows for the creation of Opportunities from any place other than the Lead record, this lookup is necessary and defines the main prospect who resulted in the opportunity. The "Current Sequence Name" is then subsequently transferred from this record onto the Opportunity.
If your organization already has a required field like this, feel free to modify the Process Builder to point to that lookup (see the FAQ details).
Map Salesforce Lead-Level Fields to Like Contact and Opportunity-Level Fields
- In Salesforce, find the Object Manger. Click into Leads and find "Fields & Relationships" on the left hand navigation panel. Select "Map Lead Fields" and map the lead-level Current Sequence Name field to the corresponding Contact-level field. This ensures that the data is not lost as Leads are converted into Contacts.
- Map the Lead-level Current Sequence Name field to the corresponding Opportunity-level field, "First Primary Contact Sequence".
Map Outreach Engagement Fields to Corresponding Salesforce Fields
- In Outreach, click on the initials on the bottom left-hand corner of the Outreach platform.
- On the settings panel that appears, find the section labeled "System Config" and select "Plugins".
- Click into the lead object and, on the top of the page that appears, select "fields".
- Add a new mapping and map "Current Sequence Name" in Outreach to the "Sequence Name" field in Salesforce.
Test the Accuracy of Revenue & Pipeline Correlation Reports
- Select an Outreach prospect that is synced with a Salesforce Lead or Contact.
- Add the prospect to a sequence, and let them complete at least one sequence step.
- Ensure the engagement panel in the Salesforce record has synced, displaying engagement data for the most recently active sequence from above.
- Create an Opportunity in Salesforce, and add the Contact to the Opportunity (or convert the Lead, then add it to the Opportunity).
Move the Salesforce Opportunity to Closed/Won (or a similar stage).
- Open the report located in "All folders" and find the folder labeled "Outreach".
- Find the report "Revenue by Sequence" and confirm the opportunity revenue has been properly attributed to the Outreach sequence. If you do not see data in the report, please see the FAQ found here.
This functionality only applies to Opportunities created moving forward, so depending on your organization, it may take some time to build a complete report. The below screenshot is an example of a complete report: