The purpose of this article is to provide direction to Outreach admins in configuring Outreach and Salesforce to generate reports that address which sequences influenced new opportunities created and won, and which sequences influenced the most revenue.
For more information about the Salesforce Unmanaged Package, refer to the Last Touch Sequence Attribution (Unmanaged Package) FAQs article.
- Outreach Admins
Before This Procedure, Outreach Admins have:
- Confirmed Outreach Connection to Salesforce.
- Confirmed Historical Trend Reporting is enabled in Salesforce.
- Added a required lookup field in the Opportunity creation flow when the Opportunity is not created from a Lead.
Install the Outreach Unmanaged Package in Salesforce
Note: Unmanaged packages are similar to open-source code, meaning the building blocks needed for the package are provided, but it is not supported by the package's author. Outreach provides this package for free, but due to the customizable nature of unmanaged packages, does not offer support for the package. More on unmanaged Salesforce packages here.
If you'd like to install the Outreach Unmanaged Package in your Salesforce Sandbox, please use the Sandbox Unmanaged package.
If installing in your production environment, please use the Production Unmanaged Package.
- Install the Unamaged Package. Note: Confirm the Do Not Install option is selected for what to do when existing components names conflict with those in the Outreach package.
- Select Install for All Users.
Note: If you do not yet have Historical Trend Reporting for Opportunities enabled, you will need to enable it in Salesforce.
- Wait while the package components are installed.
- Once installed, you'll see the below screen in Salesforce.
- The Salesforce Admin will also receive an email.
- You'll notice the following changes have been made:
- New fields have been created on the Contact, Lead, and Opportunity objects (API name prefix: outreach_).
- 3 processes have been created in the Process Builder.
- There is a new report folder named "Outreach" with a pre-configured Opportunity report.
Add the Installed Fields to Page Layouts in Salesforce
- On the top of the page select Setup.
- Select Customize from the Build section in the left-hand navigation sidebar.
- Click Leads and click Page Layouts.
- Add the appropriate page layout(s). Note: You'll find these fields all have the prefix: outreach_. Outreach recommends placing these fields under a section named Engagement Panel.
- Repeat Steps 1-4 for all other required objects, such as Contacts (all of the aforementioned Engagement panel fields) and Opportunities (First Primary Contact Lookup field should be required).
- On the top right-hand side of the Salesforce homepage, click on the gear icon and select Setup.
- On the top of the page, click on the Object Manager tab.
- Click Leads and select Page Layouts on the navigation panel.
- Add the newly created fields to the layout. You'll find these fields all have the prefix outreach_. Outreach recommends placing these fields under a section named Engagement Panel.
- Repeat steps 1-4 for the Contact object (all of the aforementioned Engagement Panel fields).
- On the Opportunity object, add the following fields:
- Primary Contact Sequence - This field will list the Sequence name associated to generation of the opportunity.
- First Primary Contact Lookup - This field should be set to required.
Note: For Last Touch Sequence Attribution to work properly, the "Current Sequence Name" is copied onto the Opportunity from a Lead or a Contact. If your organization allows for the creation of Opportunities from any place other than the Lead record, this lookup is necessary and defines the main prospect who resulted in the opportunity. The "Current Sequence Name" is then subsequently transferred from this record onto the Opportunity.
If your organization already has a required field like this, feel free to modify the Process Builder to point to that lookup (see the FAQ details).
Map Salesforce Lead-Level Fields to Like Contact and Opportunity-Level Fields
- Access the Saleforce instance.
- Access Object Manager and click Leads.
- Click Fields & Relationships.
- Select Map Lead Fields.
- Map the Lead-level Current Sequence Name field to the corresponding Contact-level field.
- Note: This ensures that the data is not lost as Leads are converted into Contacts.
- Map the Lead-level Current Sequence Name field to the First Primary Contact Sequence Opportunity field.
Map Outreach Engagement Fields to Corresponding Salesforce Fields
- Access the Outreach Platform.
- Access the CRM Plugin Settings.
- On the Salesforce Plugin Configuration landing page, click the Lead object in the Types list.
- On the Lead settings page, click the Fields tab and click Add in the upper right-hand corner.
Note: The new field is added to the bottom of the Mapping Fields list.
- Select Current Sequence Name from the Outreach Field and Salesforce Field dropdown menus.
- Click Save.
Note: Click to enable the Updates Out option to pus data to Salesforce.
Test the Accuracy of Revenue & Pipeline Correlation Reports
- Select an Outreach prospect that is synced with a Salesforce Lead or Contact.
- Add the prospect to a sequence, and let them complete at least one sequence step.
- Ensure the engagement panel in the Salesforce record has synced, displaying engagement data for the most recently active sequence from above.
- Create an Opportunity in Salesforce, and add the Contact to the Opportunity (or convert the Lead, then add it to the Opportunity).
Move the Salesforce Opportunity to Closed/Won (or a similar stage).
- Open the report located in "All folders" and find the folder labeled "Outreach".
- Find the report "Revenue by Sequence" and confirm the opportunity revenue has been properly attributed to the Outreach sequence. If you do not see data in the report, please see the FAQ found here.
This functionality only applies to Opportunities created moving forward, so depending on your organization, it may take some time to build a complete report. The below screenshot is an example of a complete report: